Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Witches and Hose



So, I sent my DNA into a genealogy database, in order to have it included in the gene mapping work being done to assess the ethnic haplotyping of the border Scots people.  Lots of invasions there!
So, I scraped the inside of my cheek, paid $100, and the results will be added the the several hundred Eliots, Elliots, Eliotts, Elliotts, Armstrongs, Scotts, etc. who have already done likewise.
In my particular case, there's even some mystery: two men who claim to be descended from the same Daniel Eliot (this project is only for men, as it tracks the Y chromosome, which is passed unaltered from father to son) who settled in Salem and gave testimony at the famous witch trials are, in fact, in possession of different Y chromosomes.  That would mean that they are not descended from a common male ancestor.  Yikes!
I'm also descended from Daniel, so my DNA will prove one (or both!) of them wrong.  Based on the results, the three of us will caucus, determine how we're related, and try to discover another descendant who can give corroborating DNA, if needed.
My direct male descent line is trackable only as far as Daniel's father, born in 1640,
allegedly in Scotland.  The Eliot clan, of course, is along the border, but there are Eliots who were forcibly settled in Northern Ireland by William, and became Orangemen, Eliots who were sent to penal colonies, Eliots, who were adopted, etc.  Though we are all eligible to be members of Clan Eliot, having proof of genetic linkage is always great.  It may also provide more information if I can find others with my Y chromosome and pool our genealogical info.
What becomes difficult, of course, is tracking my female ancestors: those are more interesting.  But mRNA tracks matrilineal descent only, so I would have to discover a female-only-descendant line, and that's next to impossible.  But some of my female lines are historically important, so well-documented public records are available particularly for the Washington family into which our first president was born.
So, I'll keep the blog updated as info comes in about my witch ancestors and Scottish ancestors!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My DNA does link does link to Daniel Elliot. What may be learned from Daniel if you speak with truth and sencerity, you do well in life, like become a builder and owner of a gristmill in Oxford, MA.
But if you falsely accuse, you may not end up married like the main accuses. Or go on in your occupation like the Clergy, Samuel Paris was not able to.
M Elliott